Last Week's Weekly Update: May 1, 2017
Dr. Salinas' Weekly Update May 15, 2017
Happy Monday and we hope it was a Happy Mother’s Day for all!
As the year winds down, our school will be celebrating our students’ successes. This week, we look forward to honoring members of the Class of 2017 at Senior Awards Night. The event is one of many we will host to pay tribute to the hard work and dedication shown by students during their years at SHS. This opportunity is also one for parents to see their hard work revered as well. The month of May allows us to celebrate the effort and talent our students have demonstrated in many different areas.
We look forward to celebrating these accomplishments with our parents, grandparents, friends and families of SHS. Thank you for your support and commitment.
Chris Salinas, Ed.D.
- Regents Exam Test Prep on Castle Learning --- Parents of students sitting for Regents exams this June are reminded that in addition to the after school extra help sessions hosted by our staff, students also have access to Regents test prep through their Castle learning accounts. To learn more about this, you may visit: https://castlelearning.wistia.com/medias/ejlb9e4glp
- Senior Awards Ceremony Wednesday, May 17 at the Elmont Public Library at 7:00 pm --- This year’s senior awards ceremony will be held at the Elmont Public Library 700 Hempstead Turnpike in the auditorium at 7:00 pm.
- JH Concert Thursday, May 18 at 7:00 pm in the H. Frank Carey High School auditorium: In addition to the junior high concert, parents are reminded that the senior high concert will be next Monday May 22nd 7:30pm @ Carey HS.
- May 2017 Students of the Month Announced --- Congratulations to the following students selected as the students of the month by our academic departments: Alexa Rambarran (Art), Mia Banks (Business), Sameer Khan (CTE), Ann Saji (English), Jazmin Solorio-Pulido (FACS), Paul Caputo (Math), Nichole Ruiz (Music), Tyler Harts (PE/Health), Erin Batting (Science), Sumaiyah Khan (Social Studies), Ansel Pimentel (English), and Laveena Gobby (World Languages).
- Summer Opportunities for Students --- Parents are invited to view this link to learn of different volunteer, internship, and educational opportunities. Please go to the last slide of the presentation: http://www.sewanhaka.k12.ny.us/Page/23467
- Senior Class Trip is Thursday, May 18 --- Seniors will be heading to the Bronx Zoo and end their day with an early dinner at SHS.
- Senior BBQ – Senior Class Dues Must be Paid by May 22 – This year’s senior BBQ is scheduled for Friday, May 26 from 11:45 – 2:00 pm. Students will receive their yearbook and in order for seniors to receive their yearbook and attend, they must settle all of their dues and return all books to the library.
- Senior Prom June 21st at Harbor Links in Port Washington --- Tickets sales for the senior prom will begin on Tuesday, May 30th through June 12th. The cost for in-district seniors is $90.00 and other students $110.00.
- WalkAThon Fundraiser Wednesday, May 31st Sponsored by STAC --- Students and Teachers Against Cancer (STAC) will be hosting a walk-a-thon on May 31st at 3PM on the track. All proceeds will be donated to the Children's Cancer Center at Winthrop University Hospital. Students will be circulating the building with YELLOW donation forms. Thank you for your support and donations!! There is a $2 donation entry fee and if you raise $25 or more, you get a free t-shirt. You may see Ms. Cesare or Ms. Ruvel for Yellow fundraising sheets.
- Spring School Safety Drills --- A reminder to families that our school will complete a series of safety drills during these final weeks of the school year. These drills are required, and also essential for the safety and well-being of our students and staff. Drills include fire drills, lockdown drills, and shelter in place drills. Our building safety team meets to coordinate drills and communicate with both students and staff.
- August SAT Registration Opens --- To better serve the needs of students on their path to college, the College Board will offer – for the first time – an August SAT® and SAT Subject Tests™ administration during the 2017-18 school year. Registration is now open and the administration will be offered on August 26, 2017. To accommodate the August testing date, the January administration of the SAT has been discontinued. https://www.collegeboard.org/membership/all-access/counseling-admissions-financial-aid-academic/registration-opens-first-august
- Math Extra Help Sessions Posted --- Parents may view the schedules for our Math extra help sessions on the parent flyers page at: http://www.sewanhaka.k12.ny.us/Page/23467
- Nassau Community College High School Enrichment Program --- Students interested in taking college courses over the summer are invited to explore taking up to 2 summer classes at NCC. To learn more about the program, please visit this site and follow up with your son or daughter’s guidance counselor: http://www.ncc.edu/admissions/hs_enrich.shtml
- The Khan Academy Sign-Up Students are strongly encouraged to up for the Khan Academy and begin accessing free SAT practice and prep. In today’s update, a flyer has been posted to our flyer’s site and included in this e-news that explains in full how to link up to the Khan Academy practice site. A flyer from the College Board has also been included. This is an important tool to help students at every grade level.
- Box Tops for Education Program --- Parents may be aware that our school is an active participant in the Box Tops for Education program. Ms. Monahan in the main office does a tremendous job of coordinating the program for us, and we can always utilize additional collections. To learn more about the program please visit the site at: http://www.boxtops4education.com/