Last Week's Weekly Update: March 27, 2017
Dr. Salinas' Weekly Update April 3, 2017
The third marking period report cards have been posted to the Parent Portal as of Friday, March 31. To view instructions for logging onto the parent portal please visit: http://www.sewanhaka.k12.ny.us/Page/23468 or the user guide that can be found on the main high school page.
As with every report card, I encourage you to speak with your son or daughter about putting their full effort into their schoolwork and attendance. To help with this, our academic department’s offers help sessions which are publicized in our flyers section and posted throughout the building. This is in addition to a homework center held in the library for students in grades 7 and 8 Monday – Thursday from 2:45 – 3:45. Additionally, I will be sharing with parents programs geared towards students with specific academic needs in the next week. Please take the time to speak with your son or daughter about giving their best effort this last marking period.
With the fourth marking period upon us, our focus as a school community will remain on studying, academic achievement, challenging course work, and participation in different extra-curricular activities. We expect all students to experience a vibrant and fulfilling educational experience. In the final marking period of the school year, this commitment to ensuring all students experience the best education possible remains firm.
Thank you for your continued support and I wish all of you an enjoyable April break.
Chris Salinas, Ed.D.
- The Khan Academy Sign Up Students are strongly encouraged to up for the Khan Academy and begin accessing free SAT practice and prep. In today’s update, a flyer has been posted to our flyer’s site and included in this e-news that explains in full how to link up to the Khan Academy practice site. A flyer from the College Board has also been included. This is an important tool to help students at every grade level.
- Science Regents Exam Review Sessions Posted --- Parents may view the schedules for our Science Regents review sessions on the parent flyers page at: http://www.sewanhaka.k12.ny.us/Page/23467
- Summer Enrichment Opportunities --- For parents of students interested in summer internship and enrichment opportunities, a list of websites is listed below. Some of these programs have been closed, but parents are welcome to learn about them to explore applying for the summer of 2018. In the coming week’s additional sites will be listed for parents to explore and review:
- Congratulations to SHS Students to be Recognized by NYS Senator Elaine Phillips Congratulations to John (JP) Iacona, Kaitlyn Milinic, and Emma Reifschneider from Sewnahaka High School on being selected to receive the Students Building Bridges Award. They are role models for their classmates and greatly deserve this recognition. John, Kaitlyn, Emma will be publicly honored for their efforts in building bridges across communities and creating a more civil society at Nassau County’s Yom HaShoah (Holocaust Remembrance Day) program.
- Math and Social Studies Review Courses Posted --- If you view the flyers page on this site you will find the scheduled times for the Math and Social Studies review courses. We believe these courses to be invaluable and essentially mandatory. Students preparing for Regents exams in math, including Algebra, Geometry, and Algebra II as well as social studies, including Global History and United States History, should attend all sessions. If you have questions, please do not hesitate to email the department chairperson or your child’s guidance counselor.
- FCCLA Success for SHS --- The FCCLA Sewanhaka Chapter at the annual State Leadership Conference in Owego. The students participated in 8 STAR EVENTS showcasing their college and career-readiness skills. The Sewanhaka team earned over $3,000 in scholarships. Gold recipients were: Keziah Joseph, Nia Balgobin, Brooke Echeverria, Taylor Regnier, Adassa Henry, and Zaire Couloute; and Silver: Lynn Edouard, Ailyn Acosta, Katiana Presume, Sutanya Williams; and first place in the skills demonstration event: Nabeeha Hussain.
- Principal’s Award Winners --- Congratulations to the following staff and students recognized as the Principal’s Award winners for this week: Emmanuel Bernadin, Chanpreet Kaur, Khalik James, Isabel Recio, Liz Dorfer, John Reagan, and Tessie Leventelis.
- Box Tops for Education Program --- Parents may be aware that our school is an active participant in the Box Tops for Education program. Ms. Monahan in the main office does a tremendous job of coordinating the program for us, and we can always utilize additional collections. To learn more about the program please visit the site at: http://www.boxtops4education.com/
- Understanding the New SAT for Parents --- While the test has been updated as of one year ago, this tutorial video, while long, is very helpful to help families understand the updates that were made to the SAT last spring: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipAgGRJI514&feature=youtu.be