Last Week's Weekly Update: May 15, 2017
Dr. Salinas' Weekly Update May 30, 2017
Dear Parents and Guardians:
We hope it was a meaningful and restful Memorial Day holiday for the students and families of SHS. Our school will continue its celebration of current and former members of the armed forces with our first ever Flag of Honor Ceremony tomorrow at 6:00 pm, Wednesday, May 31 on the football field. All are welcome to attend.
Regents exams will be given in June, and these are extremely important for all students. Students are expected to attend review sessions and take extra time out of their schedule as they prepare for these assessments. Our goal is for all students to earn a score of 85% or higher, which is considered mastery. Success on these exams is important for students because the score is calculated into their course final average and because the score is reported on the student’s transcript. Regents exam scores provide an important opportunity for students to improve their overall grade in a course, access certain NYS scholarships, and as part of the college admissions process.
Review classes help all students achieve success on these exams, regardless of their current grades. Students are encouraged to keep putting forth their best effort in the final two weeks of the school year. Our school and staff will be working to assure all students succeed.
Chris Salinas, Ed.D.
- Regents Review Site: http://www.wcny.org/education/regentsreview/
- Regents Exam Test Prep on Castle Learning --- Parents of students sitting for Regents exams this June are reminded that in addition to the after school extra help sessions hosted by our staff, students also have access to Regents test prep through their Castle learning accounts. To learn more about this, you may visit: https://castlelearning.wistia.com/medias/ejlb9e4glp
- Flag of Honor Ceremony Wednesday, May 31 at 6:00 pm --- In observance of Memorial Day, Sewanhaka has sponsored a “Flag of Honor” to honor those currently serving in the armed forces and to remember those who have dedicated their lives to serving and protecting America’s freedom. Our ceremony to dedicate these flags is scheduled for Wednesday, May 31 at 6:00 pm on the football field.
- Textbook and School Item Return: All textbooks, iPads, and other school-issued items must be returned to school in the coming days. Students should do a thorough search of their spaces at home to ensure all items arrive back at school. Students that do not return items may be delayed in receiving items next year, and current juniors will incur fines that will impact senior activities. We ask all parents for their help in ensuring textbooks and school-issued items are returned to school by next week.
- Last Day of Classes is Monday, June 12 and Lockers Must be Cleaned by that Day : All students are required to have their lockers cleared out by the last day of school, Monday, June 12. Students are not permitted to have any items remaining in their lockers after Monday, June 12.
- Regents Exams and District Testing Tuesday, June 13 – Thursday, June 22: Regents and district testing will run on these days and there are no regular classes during this time. Students are required to come to school only for their examinations or specific review sessions that may be continuing.
- Student Dress Code Reminders: With spring here, I ask for parents to assist us in supporting the student dress code. Our dress code calls for clothing that is safe, appropriate and does not disrupt or interfere with the educational process. Our policy is clear that what is asked of students is to dress appropriately for school. These guidelines reflect sound parental/guardian judgment and we ask for your cooperation and support in seeing that your children come to school properly attired every day.
- Success for Students in English Language Arts: Congratulations to two of our ninth grade students selected as winners in the Creative Communications Poetry Contest: Emily Triquet and Yasmine Teekasingh will be published in the spring edition of the publication.
- Success for CTE Cosmetology Students --- Congratulations to our 23 Cosmetology students who attended the Long Island Teacher's Guild at the Huntington Hilton Hotel this month. Hats off to the students from SHS who placed: Cheyenne Thomas and Madeleyni Coreas (1st place) and Rimsha Farooq and Jasmine Saldorriaga (4th place).
- College Board Big Future --- Parents are invited to spend some time this summer reviewing an important resource which outlines some of the steps students should take at different grades to prepare for their future: https://bigfuture.collegeboard.org/
- College Scholarship Site: Parents of students in grades 7-11 are encouraged to view this site, which consists of a lot of information on accessing different college scholarship programs: https://scholarshipamerica.org/what-we-do/students-parents/
- Senior Prom June 21st at Harbor Links in Port Washington --- Tickets sales for the senior prom will begin on Tuesday, May 30th through June 12th. The cost for in-district seniors is $90.00 and other students $110.00.
- WalkAThon Fundraiser Wednesday, May 31st Sponsored by STAC --- Students and Teachers Against Cancer (STAC) will be hosting a walk-a-thon on May 31st at 3PM on the track. All proceeds will be donated to the Children's Cancer Center at Winthrop University Hospital. Students will be circulating the building with YELLOW donation forms. Thank you for your support and donations!! There is a $2 donation entry fee and if you raise $25 or more, you get a free t-shirt.
- Spring School Safety Drills --- A reminder to families that our school will complete a series of safety drills during these final weeks of the school year. These drills are required, and also essential for the safety and well-being of our students and staff. Drills include fire drills, lockdown drills, and shelter in place drills. Our building safety team meets to coordinate drills and communicate with both students and staff.
- August SAT Registration Opens --- To better serve the needs of students on their path to college, the College Board will offer – for the first time – an August SAT® and SAT Subject Tests™ administration during the 2017-18 school year. Registration is now open and the administration will be offered on August 26, 2017. To accommodate the August testing date, the January administration of the SAT has been discontinued. https://www.collegeboard.org/membership/all-access/counseling-admissions-financial-aid-academic/registration-opens-first-august
- Math Extra Help Sessions Posted --- Parents may view the schedules for our Math extra help sessions on the parent flyers page at: http://www.sewanhaka.k12.ny.us/Page/23467
- The Khan Academy Sign-Up Students are strongly encouraged to up for the Khan Academy and begin accessing free SAT practice and prep. In today’s update, a flyer has been posted to our flyer’s site and included in this e-news that explains in full how to link up to the Khan Academy practice site. A flyer from the College Board has also been included. This is an important tool to help students at every grade level.
- Box Tops for Education Program --- Parents may be aware that our school is an active participant in the Box Tops for Education program. Ms. Monahan in the main office does a tremendous job of coordinating the program for us, and we can always utilize additional collections. To learn more about the program please visit the site at: http://www.boxtops4education.com/